Thai Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce
Recipe video above. Thai Chicken Satay Skewers are tasty enough to eat plain but we’d never skip Thai Peanut Sauce for dipping! The essential ingredient for a really great peanut sauce is natural peanut butter with no added sugar or oil. But normal peanut butter will work fine too.
- 13-16 bamboo skewers , 16cm / 6.5″ long (Note 1)
- 400 g/14oz coconut milk (1 can), full fat
- 1 tbsp curry powder (Note 3)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 2 tsp red curry paste (Note 4)
- 600 g / 1.2lb chicken thighs , boneless skinless, cut into 2cm/4/5″ pieces (Note 2)
- 2 tbsp red curry paste (Note 4)
- 2 tsp dark soy sauce (Note 6)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar (Note 7)
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup natural peanut butter, smooth (Note 5)
- 3/4 cup (185ml) water
- 2 tbsp peanuts finely chopped
- Coriander / cilantro leaves and sliced red chilli (optional)
- Lime wedges (optional)
- If cooking on a BBQ or over charcoal, soak skewers for 2 hours in water.
THAI CHICKEN SATAY SKEWERS:
- Mix together the chicken and Marinade with 1/4 cup of coconut milk, then set aside for at least 20 minutes, or overnight.
- Thread onto skewers – I do 4 to 5 pieces each.
- Heat 1.5 tbsp oil in a large non stick pan over medium high heat.
- Cook skewers in batches for 3 minutes on each side until golden.
- Place remaining coconut milk and Peanut Sauce ingredients in a saucepan over medium low heat.
- Stir to combine then simmer, stirring every now and then, for 5 minutes.
- Adjust consistency with water – it should be a pourable but thickish sauce.
- Cover with lid and keep warm while cooking skewers.
- Pour some sauce into a bowl. Sprinkle with some peanuts – stir some through if you want.
- Pile satay skewers onto a platter, sprinkle with remaining peanuts, coriander and chilli.
- Serve with sauce on the side for dipping.